set up in March, 1982 he PDUNWFS was with a view to assisting outstanding sportspersons of yesteryear, living in indigent circumstances who had brought glory to the country in sports. The scheme was revised in September, 2017 to provide for lump sum ex-gratia assistance to outstanding sportspersons of yesteryears. Now, lump sum ex-gratia assistance is given to the sportspersons or their families for medical treatment etc.
Objectives of PDUNWFS
- Provide suitable assistance to sports persons injured during the period of their training for competitions and also during competitions.
- Provide suitable assistance to promote welfare of sports persons generally in order to alleviate distress among them and their dependents.
- Provide suitable assistance to sports persons for training, procurement of sports equipment and participation in national and international events.
- Provide suitable assistance for medical treatment.
More About PDUNWFS
- A general committee is constituted for management and administration of the fund and will be chaired by the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Day to day working of the fund is managed by an executive committee chaired by the Secretary, Department of Sports.
- The assets of the fund shall include all such grants and contributions, recurring and non recurring from the central government and state governments, as well as voluntary donations and endowments.
- An annual report on the working of the fund shall be prepared by the member secretary of the general committee and shall be presented to the Government of India.
- Regular accounts shall be kept of all amounts and properties and of income and expenditure of the fund and shall be audited by a recognized authority as appointed by the general committee.