About the campaign-
- The campaign is in alignment with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 which lays emphasis on the promotion of joyful reading culture for children by ensuring the availability of age-appropriate reading books for children in local/mother tongue/regional/tribal language.
- The campaign focuses on children studying in Balvatika to Grade 8.
- The reading campaign will be organized for 100 days (14 weeks) starting from 1st January 2022 to 10th April 2022.
- It aims to have participation of all stakeholders at national and state level including children, teachers, parents, community, educational administrators etc.
- One activity per week per group has been designed with the focus on making reading enjoyable and building lifelong association with the joy of reading.
- This campaign has also been aligned with the vision and goals of foundational Literacy and Numeracy mission.
- It also focuses on Indian languages including mother tongue/local/regional languages.
- It is in this regard, 21st February which is celebrated as International Mother Tongue Day, has also been integrated with this campaign.
- This day will be celebrated with the activity of KahaniPadhoApniBhasa Main (Reading story in own language) across the country by encouraging children to read in their mother tongue/local language.
- Campaign is envisaged to support and encourage students, along with their schools, teachers, parents, and communities,in every possible way and encourage children to read for joyful learning experience.
About ‘Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat’ (PBBB)
- It is a sub-programme of erstwhile Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) which is continued under the new integrated scheme Samagra Shiksha to ensure quality at the foundational years of schooling.
- Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat” is planned in a twin track approach. (i) to improve language development by creating an enduring interest in reading and writing with comprehension; and (ii) to create a natural and positive interest in mathematics related to the physical and social world. The two tracks of Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat are:
- Early Reading and Writing with Comprehension.
- Early mathematics.
Objectives of the scheme-
- To promote early reading and writing with comprehension skills in children, and also basic numeracy skills.
- To enable children to become motivated, independent and engaged readers and writers with comprehension possessing sustainable and lasting reading and writing skills and achieve learning levels appropriate to the class of study.
- To make the children understand the reasoning in the domains of number, measurement and shapes; and enable them to become independent in problem solving by way of numeracy and spatial understanding skills.
- To associate reading and writing with the experience of joy and real life situations.
- To recognize the social perspective of home- school transition and the role of children’s literature in the process of building independent and engaged readers and writers.
Further reading: https://journalsofindia.com/padhe-bharat-badhe-bharat/