Why in news?
A ban has been called for the usage of oxytocin.
What is oxytocin?
- It is also known for its love-creating effect in the human body and the women’s reproductive and biological function, hence called love hormone or hug hormone.
- It is produced in the hypothalamus of the brain and secreted by the Pituitary gland.
- It is also a neurotransmitter and a hormone.
- During conception and breastfeeding it plays a vital role.
- Ban has been called because of its effect on uterus contractions and lactation.
- Use of it seemed inappropriate for the dairy industry.
- It is also overused in the steroid industry.
- The High Court of Delhi quashed the Notification of the Centre of 14 December 2018, which forbade sales by private manufacturers and retail chemists, stating that sales were permitted.
- The drug could only be produced by Karnataka Antibiotics and Pharmaceuticals limited (KAPL) since no other public sector company exists.
- The revised order was also abrogated by the Delhi High Court. Against the high court order of Delhi, the Central Government moved the Supreme Court.