Source: PRS India
The Union Cabinet approved the organisation restructuring of Indian Railways
- Merger of Various Group A services of Indian Railways: The eight group A services of Indian Railways, such as Indian Railways Traffic Service and Indian Railways Accounts Service, will be merged into a single service called Indian Railways Management Service.
- This is in accordance with the recommendations of certain Committees constituted on railways reforms such as the Prakash Tandon Committee (1994) and the Bibek Debroy Committee (2015).
- Reorganisation of Railway Board: The Railway Board will be reorganised on the basis of functional lines of Railways.
Composition of the Railway Board:
- It will have a Chairman, who will act as the Chief Executive Officer.
- It will have four members responsible for (i) infrastructure, (ii) operations & business development, (iii) rolling stock, and (iv) finance, respectively.
Some independent members in advisory role will also be appointed to the board. Currently, Railway Board consists of a Chairman and members along the departmental lines.