In news- Railway Protection Force (RPF) has launched a Focused effort under “Operation Satark” recently.
About Operation Satark-
- Its objective is taking action against illicit liquor/FICN/illegal tobacco products/unaccounted gold/cash/precious items/ any other items being transported through railway network for the purpose of tax evasion/smuggling/commission of crime/acts of terror.
- As part of this operation, 26 cases of transportation of illegal tobacco products were detected with seizure of tobacco products worth more than Rs 44 Lakhs and arrest of 14 persons involved.
- Unaccounted gold/silver jewellery and unaccounted cash is transported through rail for the purpose of tax evasion.
- RPF detected 23 such cases of tax evasion and handed over unaccounted cash/gold/silver worth about Rs 2.60 Crores to the respective tax authorities.
- Being aware of its responsibility as the first responder in cases of smuggling through rail, RPF took concerted action in such cases and seized smuggled items worth about Rs. 3.18 Crores during the period mentioned above.
Railway Protection Force(RPF)-
- RPF is a security force under the ownership of Indian Railways, Ministry of Railways, Government of India.
- It was established by the Railway Protection Force Act, 1957.
- It has the power to search, arrest, investigate, and prosecute offenses committed under Railway Property (Unlawful Possession) Act 1966, The Railways Act, 1989 (amended from time to time).
- However the power of arrests under other penal laws rests in the hands of the Government Railway Police (GRP) of state police.
- All the officers of RPF are members of the Indian Railway Protection Force Service (IRPFS) and are recruited through UPSC Civil Services Examination.
- They are recruited as Group-A Central Civil Servants.
- However, the post of Director-General of RPF is held on deputation by a senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer.
- Recruitment also occurs for various posts like sub-inspectors & constables and such recruitments are conducted through various exams held by the Ministry of Railways.