In news– INS Trikand is currently deployed in the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman as part of Operation Sankalp.
About Operation Sankalp-
- It is the Indian Navy’s effort to maintain a frontline ship in the region to ensure safe and secure movement of trade, instill confidence in the maritime community and contribute to regional maritime security.
- After the attacks on merchant ships in the Gulf of Oman in June 2019, Indian Navy had commenced Maritime Security Operations, code named Op SANKALP, in the Gulf Region on 19 June 2019 to ensure safe passage of Indian Flag Vessels transiting through the Strait of Hormuz.
- As part of this, Indian Navy warships and aircraft were deployed to establish presence, provide a sense of reassurance to the Indian merchantmen, monitor the ongoing situation and respond to any emergent crises.
- The operation is being progressed in close coordination with all stakeholders including the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Shipping, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and DG, Shipping.
- It is a state-of-the-art guided missile stealth frigate.
- Currently it is part of the Western Fleet that operates under the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command, based at Mumbai.
- It is the third and final ship of the second batch of Talwar-class frigates ordered by the Indian Navy.
- It was built by the Yantar shipyard in Kaliningrad, Russia.
- It was commissioned to Indian Navy service on 29 June 2013.