- Under this operation Railway Protection Force (RPF) has performed excellently against the carriers/transporters of Narcotics product through Indian Railways.
- RPF has identified black spots across the country in coordination with NCB to target drug peddlers involved in this illegal trade.
- RPF has recovered various narcotics products including designer products valued Seven crores and within its own domain arrested 165 persons who were carrying NDPS.
NDPS and their regulation in India-
- According to the NDPS Act, narcotic drugs include coca leaf, cannabis (hemp), opium, and poppy straw; and psychotropic substances include any natural or synthetic material or any salt or preparation protected by the Psychotropic Substances Convention of 1971.
- India is a signatory to The UN Single Convention on Narcotics Drugs 1961, The Convention on Psychotropic Substances, 1971 and The Convention on Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, 1988.
- The administrative and legislative setup in the field of Narcotics has been put in place in the country in accordance with the aforesaid spirit of the UN Conventions.
- The basic legislative instrument of the Government of India in the regard is the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, 1985.
Further reading: https://journalsofindia.com/operation-satark/