In the budget speech of Union Budget 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on the line of “Operation Flood”, with an outlay of Rs.500 crore to promote Farmer Producers Organizations, agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management. Accordingly, the Ministry has formulated a scheme for integrated development of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) value chain.
- Enhancing value realization of TOP farmers by targeted interventions to strengthen TOP production clusters and their FPOs, and linking/connecting them with the market.
- Price stabilization for producers and consumers by proper production planning in the TOP clusters and introduction of dual use varieties.
- Reduction in post-harvest losses by creation of farm gate infrastructure, development of suitable agro-logistics, and creation of appropriate storage capacity linking consumption centers.
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition in TOP value chain with firm linkages with production clusters.
- Setting up of a market intelligence network to collect and collate real time data on demand and supply and price of TOP crops.
The scheme will have two-pronged strategy of Price stabilization measures (for short term) and integrated value chain development projects (for long term).
- Short term Price Stabilization Measures
NAFED will be the Nodal Agency to implement price stabilization measures. MoFPI will provide 50% of the subsidy on the following two components:
- Transportation of Tomato Onion Potato (TOP) Crops from production to storage;
- Hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops
- Long Term Integrated value chain development projects
- Capacity Building of FPOs & their consortium
- Quality production
- Post-harvest processing facilities
- Marketing / Consumption Points
- Creation and Management of e-platform for demand and supply management of TOP Crops.
Government of India is giving more priority for welfare of the farmers. In this regard it is implementing several farmers welfare schemes to revitalize agriculture sector and to improve their economic conditions. Therefore, the government has rolled out new initiatives, schemes, programmes and plans to benefit all the farmers.