Open Distance learning and Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) of the HRD Ministry
Polity– Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources and Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
Recently the HRD Minister held review meeting on Open Distance learning, RUSA and Digital initiatives of HRD Ministry
Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan
Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA)
- Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS), launched in 2013 aims at providing strategic funding to eligible state higher educational institutions.
- The central funding (in the ratio of 60:40 for general category States, 90:10 for special category states and 100% for union territories) would be norm based and outcome dependent.
- The funding would flow from the central ministry through the state governments/union territories to the State Higher Education Councils before reaching the identified institutions.
- The funding to states would be made on the basis of critical appraisal of State Higher Education Plans, which would describe each state’s strategy to address issues of equity, access and excellence in higher education.
Objectives of RUSA
The salient objectives of RUSA are to;
- Improve the overall quality of state institutions by ensuring conformity to prescribed norms and standards and adopt accreditation as a mandatory quality assurance framework.
- Usher transformative reforms in the state higher education system by creating a facilitating institutional structure for planning and monitoring at the state level, promoting autonomy in State Universities and improving governance in institutions.
- Ensure reforms in the affiliation, academic and examination systems.
- Ensure adequate availability of quality faculty in all higher educational institutions and ensure capacity building at all levels of employment.
- Create an enabling atmosphere in the higher educational institutions to devote themselves to research and innovations.
- Expand the institutional base by creating additional capacity in existing institutions and establishing new institutions, in order to achieve enrolment targets.
- Correct regional imbalances in access to higher education by setting up institutions in unserved & underserved areas.
- Improve equity in higher education by providing adequate opportunities of higher education to SC/STs and socially and educationally backward classes; promote inclusion of women, minorities, and differently abled persons.
Components of RUSA
The following are the primary components of RUSA that capture the key action and funding areas that must be pursued for the fulfilment of the targets:
- Up gradation of existing autonomous colleges to Universities
- Conversion of colleges to Cluster Universities
- Infrastructure grants to Universities
- New Model Colleges (General)
- Upgradation of existing degree colleges to model colleges
- New Colleges (Professional)
- Infrastructure grants to colleges
- Research, innovation and quality improvement
- Equity initiatives
- Faculty Recruitment Support
- Faculty improvements
- Vocationalisation of Higher Education
- Leadership Development of Educational Administrators
- Institutional restructuring & reforms
- Capacity building & preparation, data collection & planning
Open and Distance Learning (ODL)
- Open and Distance Learning (ODL) system is a system wherein teachers and learners need not necessarily be present either at the same place or same time and is flexible in regard to modalities and timing of teaching and learning as also the admission criteria without compromising necessary quality considerations.
- ODL system of the country consists of Indira Gandhi National Open University(IGNOU), State Open Universities (SOUs), Institutions and Universities offering education and includes Correspondence Course Institutes (CCIs) in conventional dual mode universities.
- This is becoming more and more significant for continuing education, skill updation of in service personnel and for quality education of relevance to learners located at educationally disadvantageous locations.
- With the dissolution of the Distance Education Council of the IGNOU, the regulatory powers on ODL is currently vested with the University Grants Commission(UGC).
Digital initiatives of MHRD
- Swayam (Study Webs of Active- Learning for Young Aspiring Minds)
- SWAYAM Prabha
- National Digital Library of India
- National Academic Depository
- e-Shodh Sindhu
- Virtual Labs
- Campus connectivity
- Vidwan etc