In News: The Ministry of Education has decided to link Online Teacher Pupil Registration Management System (OTPRMS) certificates with DigiLocker in order to ensure hassle-free access to the verified online document.
- The Ministry of Education has decided to link the Online Teacher Pupil Registration Management System (OTPRMS) Certificates with DigiLocker to ensure hassle-free access.
- The issued certificates will automatically be transferred to DigiLocker and the same may be traced at the website of National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE).
- The registration fee of Rs. 200/-, payable for obtaining OTPRMS Certificates, issued by NCTE has been waived off.
- This will enable all stakeholders across India to be digitally empowered facilitating ease of doing business.
- DigiLocker is a key initiative under Digital India, the Indian Government’s flagship program.
- Aimed at transforming India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy
- The Digital Locker shall provide citizens with a shareable private space on a public cloud and make all documents/certificates available on this cloud itself
- This digital space can be utilized for storing personal documents such as university certificates, PAN cards, voter IDs, the URIs of the e-documents issued by various departments
- It shall also provide secure access to documents issued by the government.
National Council for Teacher Education
- The National Council for Teacher Education, in its previous status since 1973, was an advisory body for the Central and State Governments on all matters pertaining to teacher education, with its Secretariat in the Department of Teacher Education of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
- Despite its commendable work in the academic fields, it could not perform essential regulatory functions, to ensure maintenance of standards in teacher education and prevent proliferation of substandard teacher education institutions.
- The National Policy on Education (NPE), 1986 and the Programme of Action thereunder, envisaged a National Council for Teacher Education with statutory status and necessary resources as a first step for overhauling the system of teacher education.
- The National Council for Teacher Education as a statutory body came into existence in pursuance of the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 (No. 73 of 1993) on the 17th August,1995