Five years of OROP scheme
About OROP scheme
- Under the OROP scheme, the uniform pension is paid to defence personnel who retire in the same rank with the same length of service, irrespective of their date of retirement.
- The scheme has been in force since 1st July 2014
- As per the scheme, the armed forces personnel who retired by 30 June, 2014, are covered under it.
- OROP scheme was implemented to bridge the gap between the pensions of current and past ex-servicemen at periodic intervals.
- Before OROP, ex-servicemen used to get pensions as per the Pay Commission’s recommendations of the time when they had retired.
Source: Economic Times