About the One Ocean Summit-
- One Ocean Summit was organized by France (in the context of the French Presidency of the Council of the European Union) from 9-11 February, in Brest, France, in cooperation with the United Nations and the World Bank.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) hosted two workshops on February 9 during the summit– Sustainable Tourism in the Blue Economy workshop and the Marine Protected Areas (MPA) workshop.
- The objective of the Summit is to mobilize the international community to take tangible action towards preserving and supporting healthy and sustainable ocean ecosystems.
- It also aims to raise the international community’s level of ambition on maritime issues and translate our shared responsibility for the Ocean into concrete actions.
- It focuses in particular on the protection of marine ecosystems and sustainable fisheries, the fight against pollution (especially plastic), climate change, and ocean governance.
- The Summit contributes to the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) that seeks to support transformative ocean science solutions for sustainable development, connecting people and our ocean.
Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030)-
Its mission is transformative ocean science solutions for sustainable development, connecting people and our ocean.
The 7 Ocean Decade Outcomes are:
- A clean ocean where sources of pollution are identified and reduced or removed.
- A healthy and resilient ocean where marine ecosystems are understood, protected, restored and managed.
- A productive ocean supporting sustainable food supply and a sustainable ocean economy.
- A predicted ocean where society understands and can respond to changing ocean conditions.
- A safe ocean where life and livelihoods are protected from ocean-related hazards.
- An accessible ocean with open and equitable access to data, information and technology and innovation.
- An inspiring and engaging ocean where society understands and values the ocean in relation to human wellbeing and sustainable development.