In news : In pursuance of the recent Speech in Budget of 2021 regarding the implementation of One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC) plan in 32 States/UTs by the Union Finance Minister, The Secretary, Department of Food & Public Distribution convened a meeting with States/UTs through video conferencing and reviewed the progress of the same recently.
What is the ONORC scheme?
ONORC is an ambitious plan and endeavour of the D/o Food & Public Distribution, Government of India to introduce the nation-wide portability of ration cards under the National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
The Union Government launched the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ scheme on a pilot basis in four states in 2019.
What is the current system?
Under the existing system, a ration cardholder can buy food grains only from the PDS in the locality where he or she lives. The new system, based on a technological solution, will identify a beneficiary through biometric authentication on electronic Point of Sale (ePoS) devices installed at the FPSs, and enable that person to purchase the quantity of foodgrains to which she is entitled under the NFSA
Current status of the scheme
Presently, this system is seamlessly enabled in 32 States/UTs, covering about 69 Crore beneficiaries (86% NFSA population) in these States/UTs.
Aim and Objectives
- This scheme aims to ensure all beneficiaries, especially migrants get ration (wheat, rice and other food grains/NFSA food grains/benefits ) across the nation from any Public Distribution System (PDS) shop of their own choice
- It was also launched with the purpose that no poor person should be deprived of getting subsidised food grains under the food security scheme when they shift from one place to another.
- It aims to reduce instances of corruption by middlemen and fraudulence in ration cards to avail benefits from different states.
- One Nation One Ration Card’ scheme is also aimed at reducing the incidents of hunger deaths in the country, to further improve rankings in the Global Hunger Index
Who is eligible for One Nation One Ration Card
- Any citizen, who is declared under Below Poverty Line (BPL) category will be eligible to get the benefit of this scheme across the country.
- The beneficiaries will be identified on the basis of their Aadhaar based identification through the electronic point of sale (PoS) device. All the PDS shops will have the facility of electronic PoS devices.