objective of 100% Open Defecation Free status in all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) he Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban aims to fulfil the in the country. This will entail providing access to clean and usable toilet facilities for the citizens.
In larger prospect, ODF flagship is taken ahead by ODF+ and ODF++. The SBM-ODF+ and SBM-ODF++ protocols build upon the ODF protocols while keeping true to its provisions, so as to provide a platform for cities and towns to improve sanitation sustainability. These protocols are incremental in nature and reflect on-ground realities present in India.
ODF, ODF+ and ODF++ Status
Cities that have been certified ODF at least once on the basis of the ODF protocols laid down by MoHUA shall be eligible to declare themselves as SBM-ODF+ & SBM-ODF++ and apply for this certification.
Conditions for ODF Status
- All households that have space to construct toilet, have constructed one.
- All occupants of those households that do not have space to construct toilet have access to a community toilet within a distance of 500 meters.
- All commercial areas have public toilets within a distance of 1 kilometer.
- Fine mechanism has been implemented by the ULB to prevent citizens from defecating in the open.
Conditions for ODF+ Status
All applicable conditions for ODF as detailed above, with the following additional conditions:
- Individual toilets should be functional and well-maintained, with water availability.
- All public areas have functional public toilets within a span of 1kilometer.
- The city has sufficient mobile toilets/ toilet facilities for use during occasions with large gatherings in a single area.
- All public and community toilets should be mapped on Google Toilet Locator.
Conditions for ODF++ Status
- All necessary conditions for SBM ODF+ have been achieved.
- All functional public and community toilets should be appropriately provisioned and well-maintained.
- All toilets (individual, community and public) are either connected to: sewer networks;or safe containment systems(such as septic tanks,twin pits or other on-site sanitation systems), with regular emptying, treatment and safe disposal of septage.