In News: Union Minister of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) inaugurated the latest technology Integrated Bamboo Treatment Plant in the premises of North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC) in Byrnihat near Guwahati.
- Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre has facilitated the emergence of a new scenario in North Eastern India.
- Almost two decades of its existence in this part of India has struck the imaginations of the population here and led them on to dream about the possibility of a healthy future.
- Inevitably a future replete with expanded livelihood opportunities stemming unendingly from the right and rich harvest of Bamboos.
- CBTC strongly believes in the thrust which will be felt globally following our role as the matchmaker of the human resource, bamboo and technology.
- CBTC was incorporated with the objective of organizing the hitherto untapped bamboo sector of NE India which is a significant occupant of its topography, culture and customary practices since time immemorial.
- Its formal existence came into being as a coordinated effort headed by North Eastern development Finance Corporation (NEDFi) along with the Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India, UNIDO and UNDP.
- CBTC is the field implementation agency and forms a part of the Technology Management Program (TMP) which is a joint effort of Govt of India and UNDP.
- CBTC has embarked on a new phase of programmes and projects in the bamboo sector with renewed vigor under the aegis of North Eastern Council (NEC).
- It can be said that CBTC is one of the core outreach programmes of NEC for giving a shift to the economy of NE in the positive direction.
- The progress of these two organizations has been acknowledged by the greater community as the change agent whose need was continually felt in the region.
Objectives of Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre:
- To promote scientific development in the cane and bamboo sector.
- To provide skill upgradation and awareness to entrepreneurs, artisans, technicians, trainers and others.
- To promote employment and income generation activities in the cane and bamboo sector.
- To source and develop relevant technologies inside and outside the country for enhancing the cane and bamboo sector.
- To develop the market and create market linkage for entrepreneurs and artisans in the north eastern region.
- To liaise with premier institutions, state governments and other bodies for taking the cane and bamboo sector forward.
- To set up a documentation centre and a data bank for referral.
- To provide consultancy services in the field of cane and bamboo.
- To encourage and participate in any other developmental activity.
- To create a Centre of Excellence which will promote the Cane and Bamboo Industry in the North Eastern Region.