NIXI announces that it will offer free domain in Indian languages
- NIXI announced that it will offer a free IDN (Internationalized Domain Name) in any of their preferred 22 official Indian languages along with every IN domain booked by the registrant. According to NIXI, applicants will also get a free email in the local language.
- This offer has been created to stimulate the adoption of भारत (IDN) domain name and proliferation of local language content.
- This offer is valid for new users who register up to 31st January 2021.
- This offer is also extended to those existing in users who renew their domain in the month of January 2021.
IDN is an Internet domain name that contains at least one label that is displayed in software applications, in whole or in part, in a language-specific script or alphabet, such as Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Hebrew or the Latin alphabet-based characters with diacritics or ligatures, such as French. These writing systems are encoded by computers in multibyte Unicode. IDN enables people around the world to use domain names in local languages and scripts.
What is an Internet Exchange (IXP)?
Internet Exchange Points (IXPs) are the most critical part of the Internet’s Infrastructure. An Internet Exchange Point is a facility that allows Internet Service Providers to “meet” and exchange traffic, also called peering. This saves money on International bandwidth for the ISPs and improves connectivity for their customers by reducing latency.
About National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI)
- NIXI is a not for profit Organization under section 8 of the Companies Act 2013, and was registered on 19th June, 2003.
- NIXI was set up for peering of Internet service providers(ISPs) among themselves for the purpose of routing the domestic traffic within the country, instead of taking it all the way to US/Abroad, thereby resulting in better quality of service (reduced latency) and reduced bandwidth charges for ISPs by saving on International Bandwidth.
- NIXI is managed and operated on a Neutral basis, in line with the best practices for such initiatives globally.
- .IN is India’s Country Code Top Level domain (ccTLD).
- The Govt. of India delegated the operations of INRegistry to NIXI in 2004.
- The INRegistry operates and manages India’s .IN ccTLD.
- NIXI is working since 2003 for spreading the internet technology to the citizens of India through the following activities: –
- Internet Exchanges through which the internet data is exchanged amongst ISPs and between ISPs and CDNs.
- IN Registry, managing and operation of IN country code domain and भारत IDN domain for India.
- IRINN, managing and operating Internet protocol (IPv4/IPv6).
- IRINN-Indian Registry for Internet Names and Numbers is a division functioning under NIXI and provides allocation and registration services of Internet Protocol addresses (IPv4 & IPv6) and Autonomous System numbers to its Affiliates
- It is a not-for-profit, Affiliates based entity, with the primary goal of allocation of Internet resources to its Affiliates.
- The Government of India has authorized NIXI as .IN Registry, since January 2005. Now .IN domain names are available to anyone on a first-come-first-served basis.