In news–Recently, the Union Education Minister released the National Institute of Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2021.
NIRF Rankings for the year 2021
- IIT-Madras has managed to retain its number one position in the overall educational institutes and engineering categories.
- The institute has bagged the second position in the newly introduced ‘research’ category.
- IISc Bangalore has topped the university category.
- University of Delhi’s Miranda House has been ranked first in the college category.
- IIM Ahmedabad tops in Management subject and All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi occupies the top slot in Medical for the fourth consecutive year.
- Jamia Hamdard tops the list in Pharmacy subject for the third consecutive year.
- Miranda College retains 1st position amongst colleges for the fifth consecutive year.
- IIT Roorkee takes the top slot for the first time in Architecture subject displacing IIT Kharagpur.
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore retains its first position in Law for the fourth consecutive year.
- Colleges in Delhi dominate ranking of colleges with five colleges out of first 10 colleges from Delhi.
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal, secured 1st position in “Dental” category.
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), launched in November 2015 by the Ministry of Education, was used for this edition as well as for the past five editions of India Rankings released for the years 2016 to 2021.
- This framework outlines a methodology to rank institutions across the country.
- This is the sixth consecutive edition of India Rankings of HEIs in India.
- During its maiden year in 2016, rankings were announced for the University category as well as for three domain-specific rankings, namely Engineering, Management and Pharmacy institutions.
- Over the period of six years, three new categories and five new subject domains were added to bring the total tally to 4 four categories, namely Overall, University, College and Research Institutions and 7 subjects, namely Engineering, Management, Pharmacy, Architecture, Medical, Law and Dental in 2021.
- Research institutions have been ranked for the first time in India Rankings 2021.
Overall ranks(top five)
- The ranking framework judges institutions under five broad generic groups of parameters of ;
- Learning and Resources (TLR).
- Research and Professional Practice (RP).
- Graduation Outcomes (GO).
- Outreach and Inclusivity (OI).
- Perception (PR).
- Ranks are assigned based on the total sum of marks assigned for each of these five broad groups of parameters.