Why in news?
The virus attacked again in Kerala after its devastating previous episodes.
What is Nipah Virus?
- The newly emerging zoonosis., i.e. diseases transmitted from animals to humans, has been the infection of the Nipah virus according to the WHO.
- The Nipah virus is a type of RNA virus in the genus Henipavirus.
- The infection is generally believed to be emerging from fruit bats from the Pteropodidae family.
- After eating the date palm contaminated with fruit bats, humans were affected in 2004.
- Pigs can also act as middlemen.
- It was first found in 1998 in the Malaysian village of Kampung Sungai Nipah (hence named after this village).
- Nipah’s symptoms are similar to influenza, including fever, muscle pain and breathing problems.
- Complications can include inflammation of the brain and seizures following recovery.
- As of now, there are no vaccines available.
- People infected with the Nipah virus are provided intensive medical care.