In news– Recently, the Minister of State for Defence has flagged National Institute of Mountaineering & Allied Sports (NIMAS) multidimensional adventure sports expedition to Europe, in New Delhi.
- The NIMAS will be conducting this expedition in the general area Chamonix, France in November 2021, which is considered the adventure capital of Europe.
- Expedition will be led by NIMAS Director Col Sarfraz Singh.
- It is part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav theme of the Government, and aims to commemorate 75 years of Independence .
- It aims to promote adventure sports in the country by conducting India’s first multidimensional adventure sports expedition in the fields of land, aero and aqua.
- It has also been stated that such an expedition will be a milestone in the history of NIMAS as it will showcase the dynamic skills and adventure expertise of the Institute in all the three fields.
- The locations of the expedition are (i) Alps Mountains; (ii) Chamonix; (iii) Normandy and (iv) English Channel.
Activities during the expedition-
- To climb Europe’s highest mountaineering peak of the Alps Ranges, Mt Blanc.
- Multiple paragliding launches near the valley floor of the Alps.
- Mountain terrain biking from Alps Mountains to English Channel, to cover approximately 1,000 kilometres.
- Scuba diving upto 40 metre depth in the English Channel by scuba instructors.
- Para jumping from 10,000 to 15,000 feet at the famous Normandy Landing Zones of World War II.
- National Institute of Mountaineering & Allied Sports (NIMAS) is a premier mountaineering institute functioning under the aegis of the Ministry of Defence.
- In the year 2003, then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee made an announcement that a national level mountaineering institute should be established in the North East.
- In pursuance of this announcement, NIMAS was established at Dirang, Arunachal Pradesh in 2013.
- The Defence Minister is its President and Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh the Vice President.
- It is the only Institute in the country, which is mandated to conduct training in adventure courses in all three fields i.e., land, aero and aqua.