In news- Google recently announced the launch of its global product called News Showcase in India.
More about News Showcase-
- News Showcase is a global vehicle to pay news publishers for their content online.
- It also allows partnering publishers to curate content and provide limited access to paywalled stories for users.
- It was originally launched in October 2020.
- Google has sealed agreements with 30 Indian publishers to offer access to some of their content on News Showcase.
- The content from these publishers will begin to appear in dedicated News Showcase panels in Google News and on Discover pages in English and Hindi.
- Support for more local languages will be added in the future.
- Google has signed licensing agreements with publishers for editorial curation and it will also pay participating news organizations to give readers access to a limited amount of paywalled content.
- News Showcase is currently live across many countries like the UK, Germany and Australia with over 700 news publications.
- Under the Google News Initiative (GNI) programme, 50,000 journalists and journalism students will be trained in strengthening their digital skills to aid reporting and combat misinformation online.
- The GNI Transformation Lab, a programme for 20 local small- and mid-sized Indian news organizations to help them transform every aspect of their business to succeed online will be launched.