In news–The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology said that the Government has accorded ‘In-Principle’ approval of the nuclear site at Jaitapur in Maharashtra.
About the nuclear site-
- Six European Pressurized Reactors of 1650 MW each will be set up in technical cooperation of Framatome (former Areva) of France.
- Once built, it would be the largest nuclear power generating site in the world with a total capacity of 9900 MW.
- In 2010, French state-controlled nuclear engineering firm Areva S.A. and Indian state-owned nuclear operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India signed the agreement regarding this site.
- The present installed nuclear power capacity in the country is 6780 MW.
- The share of nuclear power in the total electricity generation in the country is about 3.1% in the year 2020-21.
- In this context, the present nuclear power capacity of 6780 MW is planned to be increased to 22480 MW by 2031 on progressive completion of projects under construction and accorded sanction.