Source: PIB, Budget 2020-21 & Livemint
The Union Budget 2020-21 mentions the New National Policy on Official Statistics which intends to promote the use of the latest technologies including AI and lay down a road-map towards modernized data collection, integrated information portal and timely dissemination of information.
Key updates about the New National Policy on Official Statistics
- The new policy comes in the wake of certain leaked government reports on jobs and consumption data which raised questions about delays in making them public.
- The new national policy on official statistics is based on the recommendations of the National Statistical Commission and the United Nations Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics.
- The policy seeks to create synergy between the Centre and the states in statistical matters besides promoting an ecosystem for “informed debate” on various social and economic issues affecting people’s lives.
- The ministry began drafting the policy in June, shelving a proposal to set up a National Statistical Development Council, an independent authority headed by the Prime Minister that would supersede the National Statistical Commission (NSC). The latter is the apex body on statistical matters.
- It had also proposed to make the chief statistician a permanent member of the NSC through the redrafted policy for improved coordination between the NSC and the government.