In news : The Chief Minister of Delhi announced that Delhi will have its own education board from this year
- As per the announcement, Delhi government schools will be de-affiliated from the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and be affiliated to a new Delhi Board of School Education in the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year
- Goals: As per the Delhi CM, three primary goals of the board are to produce “kattar deshbhakt (staunch patriots)”, “good people” and to prepare students to not be reliant on the job market for employment.
- Recently, the CBSE has recommended schools affiliated to it begin their new academic year in April, but a Delhi government is giving themselves a timeline with a more delayed start to the academic session, with the idea of beginning in July.
- As per the government all schools will not be moved to the new board at once. In this first year, affiliation of 20-25 government schools will be removed and they will be affiliated to this board
- The new board will be chaired by Education Minister Manish Sisodia and will be overseen by a governing body. Its everyday activities will be coordinated by an executive body headed by a CEO.
- In the new board, assessment will be continuous as opposed to assessment based on a final board examination.
- The Delhi government had set up two committees last July a committee for creation of a framework for a Delhi State Education Board, and a committee for the creation of a new curriculum for children up to the age of 14 years.
Need for a separate board
- For the last few years, the Delhi government has been emphasising on the need for young people to take up entrepreneurship through various initiatives like the entrepreneurship mindset curriculum in its schools and the establishment of a skill and entrepreneurship university.
- And it needs to prepare such children who can carry the responsibility of every sphere of the country in coming times, be it science, technology, business, trade, politics or society
- Government also points that children need to be good people… ready to break down all walls and see each other as humans
- The government stated that this board will prepare such a curriculum which will teach children to stand on their feet so that when they are done with their education, their employment will be with themselves