Union government plans to set up new Central Vista structure on the bank of Yamuna
About new Central Vista structure
- As per the master plan, Central Vista axis — currently from Rashtrapati Bhavan, following Rajpath, up to India Gate — will be extended from the present 2.9 km to 6.3 km from ridge to river.
- This structure will be taller than India Gate meant to withstand the vagaries of nature and remain as such for millennia to represent the current age
- The structure and design of the central vista will be decided by open competition, and it will be designed by an Indian
- It will house the Nav Bharat Udyan or the New India Garden.
- The structure is meant to be unveiled on August 15, 2022, the 75th year of Independence.
- As per the Central Public Works Department(CPWD), the government intends the structure to be “timeless” and requires such material and technology to be used that it “lasts for eras like Ashoka’s edicts, Iron Pillar in Qutub Minar complex etc”
- The structure’s size can be three times the height of India Gate as the maximum height permissible there is 134 metres from ground level
- The design should take into account factors like soil stability, wind velocity, seismic forces and vulnerability to flooding etc. as per National Building Code of India, 2016.
- Only indigenous material is to be used as part of Atmanirbhar Bharat
- CPWD also said that the design of the structure should signify “New India”. “… clean and free from poverty, corruption, terrorism, communalism, casteism.
- It may further symbolise new developments like digital India, skilled India, fit India, etc coupled with energy, dynamism and transformational ethos