In news- The Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways recently announced a new Number Series called Bharat Series marked by ‘BH’ in order to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles.
- A BH number series is for vehicle registration across India specifically meant for those vehicle owners who shift from one state to another on a regular basis due to their transferable nature of job.
- The BH signifies Bharat and will replace the state letters in the number plate denoting the state of vehicle registration, like UP or DL.
- These number plates will have white background with black numbers.
- The government by amending Rule 47 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, has mandated that vehicles bearing the BH registration mark will not require to be re-registered in a new state once it relocates.
- Anyone who is a government/PSU employee, state or Centre, is eligible.
- In the private sector, an employee of a company that has offices in at least four states/UTs is eligible to get the BH number on a voluntary basis.
- The new number series plate will be in the format – >YY BH #### XX where, YY stands for Year of first registration, BH stands for code of Bharat Series, #### stands for the number from 0000 to 9999 (randomized) and XX stands for alphabets (AA to ZZ).
- This new series will ease easy ownership transfer of used cars as well.
- The new system of allotting BH series registration to vehicles will be completely online.
- It will come into force from September 15, 2021.
- One has to pay road tax in regular vehicles for 15 years, while for BH series, the road tax will be paid only for 2 years, after which, the owner can move to another state and pay applicable tax of the new state.
- The road tax will be charged at 8 per cent if the cost of the vehicle is below Rs 10 lakh.
- It is 10 per cent for those costing between Rs 10-20 lakh and for vehicles costing more than Rs 20 lakh, the tax is 12 per cent.
- Diesel vehicles will be charged 2 per cent extra while Electric vehicles shall be charged 2 per cent less tax.