principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation. YKS is the largest grassroots level youth organization; one of its kind in the world. It channelizes the power of youth on the Over the years, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan has established a network of youth clubs in villages, where Nehru Yuva Kendras have been set up.
More About Nehru Yuva Kendras
- Nehru Yuva Kendras were established in the year 1972 with the objective of providing rural youth avenues to take part in the process of nation building as well providing opportunities for the development of their personality and skills.
- In the year 1987-88, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) was set up as an autonomous organization under the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to oversee the working of these Kendras.
- The core strength of NYKS lies in its network of youth clubs. Youth clubs are village based organizations working for community development and youth empowerment.
- The implementation of programmes and activities of youth clubs is based on local needs and requirements by mobilizing resources from various government departments and other agencies.
- Youth clubs are formed and encouraged to participate in sports, cultural and local development activities. Youth leadership is developed in the course of formation and sustenance of youth clubs.
- NYKS currently has about 8.5 million youth enrolled through 3.01 lakh Youth clubs/ Mahila mandals. NYKS has presence in 623 districts through Nehru Yuva Kendras (NYKs).
- Objectives of NYKS
. To involve the rural youth in nation building activities.
. To develop such skills and values in them with which they become responsible and productive citizens of a modern, secular and technological nation.