About National Youth Corp scheme
- The Government has launched a new Scheme “National Youth Corps” during the financial year 2010-11 to tap the potential of the youth and channel their energy towards nation building.
- This is in pursuance of the President’s Address to both Houses of Parliament in June 2009 and also the Prime Minister’s announcement in October 2009 for Jammu & Kashmir.
- The new scheme, called “National Youth Corps” (NYC) has been launched, amalgamating the existing two volunteer schemes namely National Service Volunteer (NSV) and Rashtriya Sadbhawana Yojana (RSY).
- To set up a group of disciplined and dedicated youth who have the inclination and spirit to engage in the task of nation building.
- To facilitate the realization of inclusive growth (both social and economic).
- To act as points for dissemination of information, basic knowledge in the community.
- To act as group modulators and peer group educators.
- To act as role models for the younger people specially towards enhancement of public ethics, probity and dignity of labour.
Young men and women falling in the age group of 18-29 would be eligible to become volunteers.
- The volunteers will be paid an honorarium of Rs. 5000/- per month for their engagement upto two years(including the period of training which will be for 4 weeks) in the identified development activities.
- The NYC Scheme enables young men and women in the age group of 18-29 years to serve up to two years on a full time basis for which they receive an honorarium of Rs 5000/-per month.
- Representation from the weaker sections of the society and gender balance is encouraged.
Implementation: The National Youth Corps (NYC) scheme is implemented by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan
Role of National Youth Corps/volunteers
- Each National Youth Volunteer(NYV) has a major role as catalytic agent between youth clubs and development departments.
- Each NYV has to prepare Youth profile of his/her block
- Each NYV is required to be IT Savvy. Further NYVs should have the capability of preparing report/documentation of youth program and upload online. NYC should also know about preparing reports for media/news statement. Each NYV should know the using of required mobile Apps (for example Digidhan, Digital India etc).
- Formation of New youth clubs, activisation of defunct youth clubs is the major task of each volunteer.
- Organizing NYKs regular and special programme with the help of Youth clubs.
- Guiding and motivating youth clubs members for involving themselves in community development programmers
- Recommending active/ dedicated members of youth clubs for Skill training, international youth exchange programme etc. of Nehru Yuva Kendra
- To maintain records of programmers conducted by youth clubs.
- To submit regular reports / online reports highlighting their work on regular basis.
- Maintain liaison with development departments and youth work agencies in the block/ district.
- To attend meetings regularly, at concerned Kendra.