- Jal Jeevan Mission to ensure HarGharJal (piped water supply) to all rural households by 2024 New Ministry-“Jal Shakti Mantralaya” to manage water resources and water supply in an integrated and holistic manner with the State Governments.
- It will focus on integrated demand and supply side management of water at the local level, including creation of local infrastructure for source sustainability like rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge and management of household wastewater for reuse in agriculture.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission will converge with other Central and State Government Schemes to achieve its objectives of sustainable water supply management across the country.
- Ministry: Jal Shakti Mantralaya (integrating the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation)
- Implementing Agency: Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under the Jal Shakti Ministry
- It will focus on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level.
- It will implement source sustainability measures recharge and reuse through grey water management, water conservation, rain water harvesting.
- It will converge with other Central and State Government Schemes to achieve its objectives of sustainable water supply management across India.
- The project is estimated to cost Rs 3.60 lakh crore, with the Union government and non-Northeast and non-Himalayan states sharing the expenses 50:50.
- In the case of N-E and Himalayan states, the funding pattern will be 90:10.
- In Union Territories, the Centre will bear the full cost of the programme