Tamil Nadu receives first prize in National water Awards
- Tamil Nadu has topped the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti’s National Water Awards 2019 in the ‘best state category’
- The states of Maharashtra and Rajasthan bagged second and third prizes respectively in the best state (normal) category.
- Mizoram topped the best state (special) category.
- Water warriors: Kovai Kulangal Pathukappu Amaippu, Coimbatore, and Sakthinathan Ganapathy Pandian of Anna University bagged first and second prizes respectively under this category
About National water awards
The Ministry of Jalshakti confers the award based on various parameters, including
- Implementation of irrigation water supply schemes such as check dams
- performance under micro-irrigation
- Increase in irrigation coverage
- Performance in rooftop rain water harvesting and
- Status of implementation of water accounting and auditing.
Ministry also takes into consideration the total number of water bodies created, reuse of wastewater from farms/industry/sewage, management and utilisation of data/IT technology in water conservation and irrigation.
Other Categories under the award include: Best District Revival category, Best District Water Conservation, Best Village Panchayat, Best Urban local body and Best research etc