Source: PIB & The Hindu Businessline
The Union Government has announced the National Technical Textile Mission with a four-year implementation period from 2020-21 to 2023-24.
Key features of the Mission
- It is aimed to position India as a global leader in Technical Textiles.
- Mission cost: The estimated outlay of Rs 1480 crore
- The earlier National Technical Textiles Mission, which was launched for a period of five years (2010-11 to 2014-15), with an allocation of $1 million, was extended till March 2017.
What is Technical Textile?
It can be defined as textile material and products manufactured primarily for their technical and performance rather than aesthetic property for their aesthetic or decorative properties
Need for the mission
- India imports a significant quantity of technical textiles worth $16 billion every year.
- Despite 2,100 technical textile manufacturing units in the country, spread over Gujarat, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu, India still depends on imports.
- To reverse this trend (of imports) and to position India as a global leader in technical textiles, a National Technical Textiles Mission is proposed with a four-year implementation period from 2020-21 to 2023-24