3rd phase of National Super Computing Mission to start in January 2021
About the NSM
- It envisages empowering our national academic and R&D institutions spread over the country by installing a vast supercomputing grid comprising more than 70 high-performance computing facilities.
- These supercomputers will also be networked on the National Supercomputing grid over the National Knowledge Network (NKN).
- The NKN is another programme of the government which connects academic institutions and R&D labs over a high speed network.
- Academic and R&D institutions as well as key user departments/ministries would participate by using these facilities and develop applications of national relevance.
- The Mission also includes the development of highly professional High Performance Computing (HPC) aware human resource for meeting challenges of development of these applications.
- The Mission implementation would bring supercomputing within the reach of the large Scientific & Technology community in the country and enable the country with a capacity of solving multi-disciplinary grand challenge problems.
- The Mission would be implemented and steered jointly by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) at an estimated cost of Rs.4500 crore.
- To make India one of the world leaders in Supercomputing and to enhance India’s capability in solving grand challenge problems of national and global relevance
- To empower our scientists and researchers with state-of-the-art supercomputing facilities and enable them to carry out cutting-edge research in their respective domains
- To minimize redundancies and duplication of efforts, and optimize investments in supercomputing
- To attain global competitiveness and ensure self-reliance in the strategic area of supercomputing technology
- Improving weather services
- Natural disaster prediction
- Disaster simulation and management
- Support computational biology
- Drug discovery
- Space ambitions
- Molecular Dynamics
- Discovery and extraction of new sources of oil and gas
- Atomic Energy Simulation
- National Security/Defence Applications
- Big data analytics