Source: Press Information Bureau
The National Sports University, Manipur was set up in 2018. The University is presently functional from its temporary campus at the Khuman Lampak Sports Complex of Imphal
National Sports University aims to become the pioneering university in the country to prepare world-class athletes, sports scientists, sports managers, sports architects, sports journalists, physical educationists with the help of path-breaking research & diverse programs that inspire leadership, teamwork, & resilience among its students, thereby profoundly impacting our society in meaningful ways
- To produce top athletes, sports scientists, competent physical educationists by offering programs that cultivate learning through competition, recreation, physical activity in addition to classroom learning.
- To mentor students by inculcating values & leadership skills in them by providing diverse opportunities that develop character to succeed in all facets of their lives.
- To study human potential holistically by conducting pioneering research in the field of sports science & use its findings to boost public health & enhance international performance of Indian athletes.
- To develop the entire sports eco-system including sports management, sports journalism, sports architecture, sports equipment manufacturing, etc.
- To contribute towards promoting international peace with the power of sports by helping build a society & country healthy in mind & body
Through tireless effort & knowledge, towards excellence
The University will have four schools
- School of Sports Science and Sports Medicine
- School of Sports Management and Technology
- School of Sports Education
- School of Interdisciplinary Studies
Other key features of the University
- The National Sports University will have the flexibility to open new schools/departments in consonance with the advances and developments in sports science, sports medicine, and allied areas.
- The University, once developed, will be the first one of its kind to promote sports education in the areas of sports sciences, sports technology, sports management, and sports coaching.
- Serving the Community: Providing extension services to the local community with the objectives of improving their health and lifestyle as well as giving impetus to sports of local origin like Sagol Kangjei (polo), Thang Ta (Manipuri martial art), Yubi Lakpi (rugby), Mukna, Kang, etc. shall also be one of the key functions of NSU
- It will also function as the national training centre for selected sports disciplines by adopting the best international practices by signing Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with international universities. The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has already signed MoUs with the Universities of Canberra and Victoria in April 2017