Recently Under the CSR initiatives of the Company, Security Printing & Minting Corporation of India contributed a sum of Rs 1 Crore towards National Sports Development Fund under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) for the top athletes of our Country selected for Tokyo Olympics and beyond.
National Sports Development Fund (NSDF)
- National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) was established in 1998 under the Charitable Endowments Act 1890
- It was notified by Government of India in November 1998
- Purpose of creation is to impart momentum and flexibility to assist the cause of sports
- The Fund helps sportspersons excel by providing them opportunities to train under coaches of international repute with technical, scientific and psychological support and giving them exposure to international competitions
- The Fund also provides financial assistance for the development of infrastructure and other activities for the promotion of sports
- Role of the Fund is supplementary to the overall policy and activities of the Department of Sports in achieving excellence in sports.
Objectives of NSDF
- To administer and apply the money of the Fund for promotion of sports in general and specific sports disciplines and individual sportspersons in particular for achieving excellence at the National and of International level
- To impart special training and coaching in relevant sports disciplines to sportspersons, coaches and sports specialists
- To construct and maintain infrastructure for the promotion of sports and games
- To supply sports equipment to organizations and individuals for the promotion of sports and games;
- To identify problems and take up research and development studies for providing support to excellence in sports
- To promote international cooperation, in particular, exchanges which may promote the development of sports
- To provide low-interest or interest-free loans for projects and activities related to any of the aforesaid objects.
Management and Administration of the Fund
Council of NSDF
- The Fund is managed by a Council constituted by the Central Government. Union Minister in charge of Youth Affairs and Sports is the Chairperson of the Council.
- Members of the Council include senior Officers of the Department of Sports, Chairman & Managing Directors of Private and Public Sector Companies / Corporations, representatives of Sports Promotion Boards, etc.
- The Council decides all policy matters relating to the Fund.
The day to day working of the Fund is managed by an Executive Committee headed by Secretary (Sports). The Executive Committee meets as often as necessary, but normally not less than four times a year.