In news- The Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports announced the National Sports Awards 2021.
About the National Sports Awards-
- They are given by the President of India every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports.
- National Sports Awards include several awards in it. They are:
Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award’(1991-92)
- Formerly known as the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, it is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of previous four years.
- It is the highest award which comprises a medallion, a certificate, and a cash prize of Rs 25 lakh.
Arjuna Award (1961)
- It is given for outstanding performance in Sports and Games over a period of previous four years and showing qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh, a bronze statue of Arjuna and a scroll of honour.
- It is given for outstanding coaches and for their meritorious work on a consistent basis and enabling sportspersons to excel in International events.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh, a bronze statue of Dronacharya and a scroll of honour.
Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime achievement in Sports and Games (2002)
- It is given to honour sportspersons who have contributed to sports by their performance and continue to contribute to promotion of sports events after their retirement.
- It carries a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh, a certificate and a ceremonial dress.
Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar(2009)
- It is given to corporate entities (both in private and public sector), sports control boards, NGOs including sports bodies at the State and National level who have played a visible role in the area of sports promotion and development.
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy (1956-57)
- It is given to the overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments.
- It was received by Panjab University – Chandigarh.