Source: PIB & NSG
Recently the Union Home Minister inaugurates the campus of NSG Regional Hub at Kolkata
About Regional Hub
- This state-of-the-art regional hub complex at Kolkata, worth over Rs.162 crores, will have Residential and Non Residential Complexes to house 460 persons and families.
- This latest NSG complex has become a model regional hub of the NSG, which will help in honing the professional acumen of the NSG commandos and also contribute significantly in capacity building of the first responders, the Police forces of the States.
- The area of responsibility of this Hub comprises of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand & the entire North East.
- The Kolkata hub, hitherto functioning from the Kolkata airport, is the fourth to have permanent infrastructure after Mumbai, Chennai and Hyderabad
About National Security Guard (NSG)
Timeline of NSG
- The Union Cabinet in 1984 took a decision to create a Federal Contingency Force comprising of personnel who are highly motivated, specially equipped and well trained to tackle the various manifestations of terrorism.
- In June 1984, a nucleus consisting of the Director-General of NSG and other essential elements were sanctioned and steps were initiated to raise the Force.
- A bill for the creation of this Organization was introduced in the parliament in August 1986 and it received the assent of the President on September 22, 1986, and the National Security Guard (NSG) formally came into being from that date.
A World-Class Zero Error Force
- Train, Equip and keep in Readiness a special force capable of swiftly and effectively
- Combating terrorism
- To live up to its motto ’Sarvotra Sarvottam Suraksha’
Other key points about NSG
- NSG is Federal Contingency World Class Zero Error Force to deal with anti-terrorist activities in all its manifestation.
- The NSG is a Force specially equipped and trained to deal with specific situations and is, therefore, to be used only in exceptional circumstances to thwart serious acts of terrorism.
- Ethos: The Ethos of the NSG is premised on the following:
- Pursuit for excellence
- Lead from the front.
- Zero Error.
- Speed, surprise, stealth, precision and accuracy are its hallmarks.
- The basic philosophy of NSG is a swift and speedy strike and immediate withdrawal from the theatre of action.
- It has been given the SPECIFIC ROLE to handle all facets of terrorism in any part of the country as a Federal Contingency Force.
- The NSG was modelled on the pattern of the SAS of the UK and GSG-9 of Germany.
- It is a task-oriented Force and has two complementary elements in the form of the Special Action Group (SAG) comprising Army personnel and the Special Ranger Groups (SRG), comprising personnel drawn from the Central Armed Police Forces / State Police Forces.