- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) has played a significant role in fostering and nurturing the fledgling startup ecosystem by steering it through its strong network of Incubators through the National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB).
- The National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), established in 1982 by the Government of India under the aegis of Department of Science & Technology.
- Institutional mechanism to help promote knowledge driven and technology intensive enterprises.
- The Board, having representations from socio-economic and scientific Ministries/Departments, aims to convert “job-seekers” into “job-generators” through Science & Technology (S&T) interventions.
Major Objectives of NSTEDB
- To promote and develop high-end entrepreneurship for S&T manpower as well as self-employment by utilising S&T infrastructure and by using S&T methods.
- To facilitate and conduct various informational services relating to promotion of entrepreneurship.
- To network agencies of the support system, academic institutions and Research & Development (R&D) organisations to foster entrepreneurship and self-employment using S&T with special focus on backward areas as well.
- To act as a policy advisory body with regard to entrepreneurship.
The functions of the NSTEDB
- To act as a policy advisory body to the Government in matters relating to S&T Entrepreneurship Development.
- To guide the Department in implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Schemes/programmes related to S&T Entrepreneurship.
- To guide in generating new programmes/schemes.
The programmes are broadly classified into the following areas
- Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp (EAC)
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme (EDP)
- Faculty Development Programme (FDP)
- Technology Based EDP (TEDP)
Institutional mechanisms for entrepreneurship development
- National Initiative For Developing And Harnessing Innovations (NIDHI)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC)
- Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development (STED) Project
- Science & Technology Entrepreneurs Park (STEP)
- Technology Business Incubator (TBI)