- The Ministry of labour and employment has appointed Larsen & Toubro’s Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director SN Subrahmanyan as the chairman of the National Safety Council for a period of three years
National Safety Council (NSC)
- Set up by the Ministry of Labour, Government of India (GOI) on 4th March, 1966 to generate, develop and sustain a voluntary movement on Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) at the national level.
- It is an apex not-for-profit making tripartite body, registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and the Bombay Public Trust Act, 1950.
- Objective NSC carries out various activities, these include
- organising and conducting specialised training programmes/courses, conferences, seminars & workshops;
- conducting consultancy studies such as safety audits, safety ratings, hazard evaluation & risk assessment;
- designing and developing HSE promotional materials & publications;
- facilitating organisations in celebrating/observing various campaigns viz. National Safety Day/Week, Fire Service Week, World Environment Day and Road Safety Week.
- To its credit, NSC has successfully organised many national and international conferences e.g. XIII World Congress (1993) and APOSHO Conferences (1995 and 2016) and implemented many prestigious projects.
- It also serves as a gateway to the state-of-art information on HSE aspects at the international level.
- In the course of its services for more than 50 years, it has built up technical expertise and competence to meet the emerging challenges in the HSE aspects due to continuous advancements in technologies.
- It has been doing dedicated service to the nation in developing and leading the voluntary movement under the able guidance of the Governing Body since 1966.
- The affairs of the Council are managed by a Governing Body called Board of Governors.
- The Board consists of 51 members besides the Chairman.
- The Board is tripartite in nature with members from Government, Employers Organizations and Trade Union Organizations.
- An eminent industrialist, nominated by the Govt. of India as the Chairman of NSC.
- The Director General is the Chief Executive of NSC and Secretary to the Board of Governors.
The Board Comprising:
- Immediate Past Chairman
- 16 members, nominated by the Govt. of India (8 representing the Central Organisations of Employers and 8 representing the Central Organisations of Workers)
- 32 members elected by the General Body of NSC
- 2 experts nominated by the Board