Source: Ministry of Youth and Sports Affairs
The scheme titled National Programme for Youth and Adolescent Development (NPYAD) has been formulated by the merger of four 100% central sector grants-in-aid schemes of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports during the 10th Plan namely,
- Promotion of Youth Activities & Training
- Promotion of National Integration
- Promotion of Adventure and Development and
- Empowerment of Adolescents
Short term objectives:–
- Provide the opportunity for the holistic development of youth including adolescents for the realisation of their fullest potential
- Develop leadership qualities and personality development of youth and to channelize their energy towards socio-economic development and growth of the nation
- Promote national integration, strengthen secular and eclectic outlook through creative expressions by youth
- Foster the spirit of adventure, risk-taking, teamwork, the capacity of ready and vital response to challenging situations and of endurance among youth
- Acknowledge adolescents as a distinct sub-group among youth and address their distinct needs and at the same time provide positive stimulation and congenial environment for their all-round development
- To encourage research and publication and to promote technical resource support including the development of information and database on issues concerning youth and adolescents.
Long- term objectives
- Engage and channelize the energy of youth in a positive manner for nation-building
- Develop amongst youth a sense of pride in nationally accepted values like democracy, socialism, and secularism
- Promote activities and programmes, which foster social harmony and national unity among youth
- Promote the spirit of national integration, unity in diversity, pride in Indianness among the youth of different parts of the country and to induce a sense of social harmony amongst the youth
- To motivate the youth to act as a focal point for dissemination of knowledge in the rural area and involve them in the nation-building process
- To stimulate action for development and empowerment of adolescents, particularly from the economically and socially neglected/backward sections of society
- To build and develop an environment which recognizes the specific needs and promise of the adolescents in the country and provides for adolescent-friendly services.
- Definition of youth and adolescent: The Youth and Adolescents for the purpose of the scheme would be as defined in the extant National Youth Policy. In other words, the expression ‘youth’ would cover persons belonging to the age group of 15 to 29 years and ‘adolescent’ would cover persons in the age group of 10-19 years under the scheme.
- Target youth and adolescents under the scheme: The targeted beneficiaries of the programmes include members of the youth clubs affiliated to the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, National Service Scheme, State Government Youth Organisations, Bharat Scouts & Guides or student youth in Schools, Colleges and Universities. Adolescents and Youth from other established youth organizations or NGOs may be considered provided they are the registered members of such organizations. Preference may be given to the youth with special abilities and youth belonging to scheduled caste, scheduled tribes, minorities, and weaker sections.
- Gender budgeting: In the selection of beneficiary women will have a distinct priority and care should be taken to include at least one-third beneficiaries from women
Progamme area & Components
Name of the Programme Area
|a)||Youth Leadership and Personality Development|
|b)||Promotion of National Integration|
|c)||Promotion of Adventure|
|d)||Development and Empowerment of Adolescents|
|e)||Technical and Resource Development|