A Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU) has been set up in Goa under the aegis of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA), Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
A brief note on Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU)
- The proposed PMRU will function at the State level under the direct supervision of the State Drug Controller for increasing outreach of NPPA.
- PMRUs are societies registered under the Societies Registration Act having its own Memorandum of Association/ Bye-laws.
- The Board of Governors of PMRU includes the representatives from the Central Government and State Government concerned and other stakeholders.
- PMRUs are set up by NPPA under Consumer Awareness, Publicity and Price Monitoring (CAPPM)
About the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) was constituted vide Government of India Resolution dated 29th August 1997 as an attached office of the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers as an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs and to ensure availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.
Functions of NPPA
It has been entrusted inter-alia, with the following functions;
- To implement and enforce the provisions of the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO), 1995/2013 in accordance with the powers delegated to it.
- To undertake and/or sponsor relevant studies in respect of pricing of drugs/formulations.
- To monitor the availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial steps.
- To collect/maintain data on production, exports and imports, market share of individual companies, the profitability of companies etc. for bulk drugs and formulations.
- To deal with all legal matters arising out of the decisions of the Authority.
- To render advice to the Central Government on changes/revisions in the drug policy.
- To render assistance to the Central Government in the parliamentary matters relating to the drug pricing.