In news- The Union government has announced that digitally capturing the attendance of workers employed under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGREGS) through NMMS has been made universal from January 1, 2023.
- The Union government, arguing for transparency and accountability in May 2021, had started a pilot project to capture attendance via a mobile application, the National Mobile Monitoring System (NMMS).
- From May 16, 2022, capturing attendance via the app was made compulsory for all worksites with 20 or more workers( which is now mandatory for all worksites, regardless of the number of workers engaged).
- The NMMS App permits taking real time attendance of workers at Mahatma Gandhi NREGS worksites along with geotagged photograph, which will increase citizen oversight of the programme besides potentially enabling processing payments faster.
- Area Officer Monitoring App facilitates them to record their findings online along with time stamped and go-coordinate tagged photograph for all the schemes of Deptt of Rural Development- Mahatma Gandhi NREGS, PMAYG, PMGSY.
- It is an employment scheme to enhance livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of guaranteed demand based wage employment in a financial year to every household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
- MGNREGA scheme was launched in February 2006.
- Ministry: Ministry of Rural development.
- Beneficiaries are willing rural population, unskilled manual labourers and seasonally unemployed.
- A 60:40 wage and material ratio has to be maintained.
- No contractors and machinery is allowed.
- The central government bears the 100% wage cost of unskilled manual labour and 75% of the material cost including the wages of skilled and semi-skilled workers.
- If work is not provided within 15 days of applying, applicants are entitled to an unemployment allowance.
- MGNREGA is to be implemented mainly by gram panchayats.
- At least one-third beneficiaries shall be women.
- Social audit has to be done by the gram sabha at least once in every 6 months.
Source: The Hindu