In news- The Ministry of Power has decided to set up a National Mission on use of Biomass in coal based thermal power plants to address the issue of air pollution due to farm stubble burning and to reduce carbon footprints of thermal power generation.
About the mission-
It would support the energy transition in the country and help in achieving targets to move towards cleaner energy sources. It will also contribute to the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP).
The objectives of the mission are-
- To increase the level of co-firing from present 5% to higher levels to have a larger share of carbon neutral power generation from the thermal power plants.
- To take up R&D activity in boiler design to handle the higher amount of silica, alkalis in the biomass pellets.
- To facilitate overcoming the constraints in supply chain of biomass pellets and agro- residue and its transport upto to the power plants.
- To consider regulatory issues in biomass co-firing.
The Mission would have a Steering Committee headed by Secretary (Power) composed of all stakeholders including representatives from Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG), Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) etc..
- The Executive Committee would be headed by Member (Thermal), CEA.
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) will play a larger role in providing logistic and infrastructure support in the proposed National Mission.
- The Mission would have full time officers from CEA, NTPC, DVC and NLC or other participating organizations.
- The duration of the proposed National Mission would be a minimum 5 years.
- The Sub-Groups proposed to be formed under the Mission are-
- Sub-Group 1 : to be responsible to carry out research on properties/ characteristics of biomass.
- Sub-Group 2 : to carry out technical specification and safety aspects including research in boiler design etc…
- Sub-Group 3: for resolving the issues of supply chain during the mission period and sensitization programme.
- Sub-Group 4 : to select designated labs and certification bodies for testing of Agro-based biomass pellets and Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) pellets.
- Sub-Group 5: be formed on regulatory framework and economics of biomass co-firing in coal based Thermal power plants.