In news : National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) launched NMIS to capture the information regarding movement of migrants recently
About the National Migrant Information System (NMIS)
- In order to capture the information regarding movement of migrants and facilitate their smooth movement across States, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has developed an online dashboard NMIS on existing NDMA-GIS portal
- The online portal would maintain a central repository on migrant workers and help in speedy inter-State communication/co-ordinationto facilitate their smooth movement to native places.
- It has additional advantages like contact tracing, which may be useful in overall COVID-19 response work.
- The key data pertaining to the persons migrating has been standardized for uploading such as name, age, mobile no., originating and destination district, date of travel etc., which States are already collecting.
- States will be able to visualize how many people are going out from where and how many are reaching destination States.The mobile numbers of people can be used for contact tracing and movement monitoring during COVID-19.
- This system will allow States to upload batch file of individual data on the portal.
- As many States have already collected migrant data, this can be integrated through Application Programming Interface (API).
- The key data upload pertaining to the persons migrating has been standardised such as the name, age, mobile no, originating and destination district and date of travel
- States will also be able to visualise the number of people going out from a State and how many are reaching destination States.
- A unique ID is generated for each migrant, which can be used for all transactions.
- Central Ministries can also monitor the movement of migrants through this portal
- The IDs of people moving by a particular train will be given to Railways by the origin State, when giving the requisition of trains. In this way, the data will be visible to destination States too and can be used for further monitoring.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- NDMA, headed by the Prime Minister of India, is the apex body for Disaster Management in India. Setting up of NDMA and the creation of an enabling environment for institutional mechanisms at the State and District levels is mandated by the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
- NDMA is mandated to lay down the policies, plans and guidelines for Disaster Management. India envisions the development of an ethos of Prevention, Mitigation, Preparedness and Response.
- NDMA has 5 major divisions viz. Policy & Plans, Mitigation , Operations & Communications & Information & Technology , Administration and Finance.