Source: PIB & Ministry of Human Resource Development
NMMSS is the Central Sector Scheme which is being implemented since 2008.
To award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at class VIII and encourage them to continue the study at the secondary stage.
Key features of the scheme
- Scholarship of Rs. 6000/- per annum (Rs.500/- per month) per student is awarded to selected students every year for study in classes from IX to XII in State Government, Government aided and local body schools.
- There is a quota of scholarships for different states/UTs.
- Students whose parental income from all sources is not more than Rs. 1,50,000/- are eligible to avail of the scholarships.
- There is reservation as per State Government norms.
- The selection of students award of the scholarships is made through an examination conducted by the State Governments.
- Scholarships are disbursed by the State Bank of India directly into the bank accounts of students on a quarterly basis.
- The scheme is boarded on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) since 2015-16.
- The NSP has been developed by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) for streamlining and fast-tracking the release of Scholarships across Ministries / Departments with efficiency, transparency, and reliability.
- The eligible students from different States/UTs register themselves on NSP.
Who all are not eligible?
- The students studying in “Kendriya Vidalayas and “Jawahar Vavodaya Vidlayas” are not entitled to get scholarship under this scheme.
Similarly, those students studying in Residential Schools run by the State Government Institutions, where facilities like boarding, lodging, and education are provided and students studying in private schools are also not eligible for the scholarship under this scheme.