Recently India and Portugal have signed an agreement to jointly develop National Maritime Heritage Complex (NMHC) in Gujarat’s Lothal.
About National Maritime Heritage Complex (NMHC)
- NMHC will consolidate all diverse and rich artefacts from ancient to modern times and provide access to the public and make them aware, learn and be inspired by our rich maritime heritage.
- An edutainment approach using the latest technology will be adopted for development of the NMHC complex.
- NMHC will consist of
- National Maritime Museum
- Maritime Heritage based theme park
- Amusement park
- Maritime Research Institute
- Nature Conservation Park
- Resorts and Hotels
- Setting up a National Maritime Heritage Complex at such an important location will benefit the historical importance of Lothal and develop it into a place of extraordinary and unparalleled maritime heritage.
- It will instil pride, create awareness and enhance knowledge about the rich and diverse maritime history of the country.
- NMHC will leverage modern technology to showcase the maritime history and will be a tourist attraction not only in India but also internationally.