The National Investment & Manufacturing Zones (NIMZs) are means of the National manufacturing policy.
The NIMZs are envisaged as integrated industrial townships with:
- State of the art infrastructure.
- Land use on the basis of zoning.
- Clean and energy efficient technology.
- Necessary social infrastructure.
- Skill development facilities etc.
NIMZs aim to provide a productive environment for persons transitioning from the primary to the secondary And Tertiary sectors.
What is National Manufacturing Policy (NMP)?
- The National Manufacturing Policy (NMP) has the objective of enhancing the share of manufacturing in GDP to 25% and creating 100 million jobs over a decade.
- The NMP provides for promotion of clusters and aggregation, especially through the creation of national investment and manufacturing zones (NIMZ).
Facts about NIMZ:
- NIMZ can be proposed with a land area of at least 5000 hectares.
- Land will be selected by state governments and preference would be given to uncultivable land.
- NIMZ will be managed by a Special Purpose Vehicle, headed by. Govt. officials and experts, including those of the environment.
- To enable NIMZs to function as self-governing autonomous bodies, they will be declared by the state government as industrial townships under Article 243 Q (c) of the constitution.
- NIMZs will be notified by the central government.