The Union Minister of State for Jal Shakti chaired the 17th Meeting of the Special Committee for Inter-Linking of Rivers (ILR). The meeting reviewed the status of the various ILR projects, the establishment of an exclusive body named National Interlinking of Rivers Authority (NIRA) was also discussed.
National Interlinking of Rivers Authority (NIRA)
- The proposed body is expected to take up both inter-State and intra-State projects.
- It would make arrangements for generating up funds, internally and externally.
- It is being assisted by a Task Force for ILR, which is a committee of experts essentially drawn from the Jal Shakti Ministry, Central Water Commission and the NWDA.
Inter-Linking of Rivers (ILR) projects in India
Some important ILR projects in India are:
- Ken-Betwa Link Project
- Cauvery (Kattalai)-Vaigai-Gundar link (IBWT)
- Bedti-Varda link (IBWT)
- Damanganga (Ekdare)-Godavari link (Intra-State)
- Damanganga-Vaitarna-Godavari link (Intra-State)
- Damanganga-Pinjal and Par-Tapi-Narmada Link Projects
- Alternative proposal of Diversion of Godavari waters up to Cauvery basin
- Manas-Sankosh-Teesta-Ganga (MSTG) link and
- Integration of Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project with Parbati- Kalisindh-Chambal link.