premier institute for capacity development in India and the region. he National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) was constituted under an Act of Parliament with a vision to play the role of a The efforts in this direction that began with the formation of the National Centre for Disaster Management (NCDM) in 1995 gained impetus with its redesignation as the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) for training and capacity development. Under the Disaster Management Act 2005, NIDM has been assigned nodal responsibilities for human resource development, capacity building, training, research, documentation and policy advocacy in the field of disaster management.
Both as a national centre and then as the national institute, NIDM has performed a crucial role in bringing disaster risk reduction to the forefront of the national agenda. The Institute believes that disaster risk reduction is possible only through promotion of a “Culture of Prevention” involving all stakeholders. The Institute works through strategic partnerships with various ministries and departments of the central, state and local governments, academic, research and technical organizations in India and abroad and other bilateral and multilateral international agencies.
NIDM provides capacity building support to various national and state level agencies in the field of Disaster Management & Disaster Risk Reduction. The Institute’s vision is to create a Disaster Resilient India by building the capacity at all levels for disaster prevention and preparedness.
- To build a national hub to share and learn and to create a critical mass of institutions, trainers and trained professionals.
- To undertake quality research covering both natural and human induced disasters, with a multi-hazard approach.
- To work as a National Resource Center for the central and state governments in the country through effective knowledge management and sharing of best practices.
- To professionalise disaster risk reduction and emergency management in India and other neighboring countries by developing an independent cadre of professionally trained emergency and mitigation managers.
- To promote formal training and education for disaster management in India and in the region.
- To build working partnerships with the government, universities, NGOs, corporate bodies and other national and international Institutes of eminence.
- To link learning and action by building a synergy between institutions and professionals in the sector.