Why in news?
The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment in Leh, Union Territory of Ladakh, the National Institute of Sowa Rigpa (NISR).
What is Sowa Rigpa?
- Sowa-Rigpa (healing science) is a traditional medicinal system coming from India’s Himalayan belt, which is still in practice.
- It was established in Tibet and has been practiced popularly in countries such as India, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia and Russia.
- The father of Sowa Rigpa is said to be YuthogYontenGonpo from Tibet.
- It is practiced in extreme parts of the north east of India, starting from the Ladakh region.
- Sowa-Rigpa’s theory and practice is similar to Ayurveda.
- In partnership with national and international institutes, it will be under the ministry of AYUSH.
- It will act as a Sowa-Rigpa framework apex centre.
- This establishes synergies between the existing institutions of Sowa Rigpa, namely the Central Tibetan Studies University, Varanasi and the central Buddhist studies Institute at Leh.
- Under the Ministry of Culture, current Sowa-Rigpa institutions operate.
- It will also help to revive Sowa-Rigpa and associate the Sowa-Rigpa’s traditional knowledge with modern science, technology and instruments.