In news–Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) organized the “National Highway Excellence Awards” 2021 ceremony recently.
About National Highway Excellence Awards(NHEA)-
- With a view to strengthen and augment the road infrastructure in the country, MoRTH initiated NHEA in 2018.
- It incentivizes stakeholders in the highway construction and maintenance process and creates a spirit of healthy competitiveness amongst them.
- The idea is to recognize and award companies for the best-performing road assets and toll plazas across the country.
- The aim of the award is to create world-class road infrastructure, highways, toll plazas, expressways, bridges, tunnels every day through new and innovative construction processes along with a strong focus on environmental sustainability and cleanliness factors.
- The awards are designed across multiple categories. It identifies players which have
- Adhered to construction and operational guidelines.
- Upheld high quality and safety standards, and
- Employed innovation and sustainable practices in their work.
- The companies nominate themselves on an online portal named ‘bhoomi rashi’ by uploading the project information and documents specific to the award category.
- In the first award cycle in 2018, a total of 107 nominations were received across 5 categories (Excellence in Construction Management, Excellence in Operation and Maintenance, Excellence in Highway Safety, Excellence in Toll Plaza Management and Innovation).
- In the second award cycle in 2019, two new categories were introduced –
- Green Highways and
- Outstanding Work in Challenging Conditions.
- In 2020 one additional special award category, Bridge & Tunnel, was added to the pool of categories from 2019.
- In 2022, the 4th award cycle, two new categories of Bridge Construction and Tunnel Construction were introduced.