In news- The National Girl Child Day was observed on 24th January 2022.
About National Girl Child Day(NGCD)-
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development that started in 2008.
- The objective behind celebrating the NGCD is to provide all support and opportunities to the girls of the country.
- It also aims towards promoting awareness about the rights of the girl child and to increase awareness on the importance of girl’s education, and their health and nutrition.
- The NGCD 2022 is celebrated across the nation with objectives of generating awareness on the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and create a positive environment around valuing the girl child.
- The celebrations also mark the anniversary of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme.
- As part of the celebrations, the Ministry of Culture organized a rangoli-making event ‘Umang Rangoli Utsav’ on 24th January 2022.
- The theme for National Girl Day is yet to be announced, the theme for the Girl Child Day 2021 was ‘Digital Generation, Our Generation’.
- It was on 24 January 1966 that Indira Gandhi was sworn in as the country’s first woman Prime Minister.
Various schemes related to girl child-
- National Education Policy (NEP)-2020 has introduced “Gender Inclusion Fund for targeting the development of girl child, it also focuses on ensuring 100% enrollment of girls in schooling and a record participation rate in higher education, decrease gender gaps at all levels.
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) has launched ‘Knowledge Involvement in Research Advancement through Nurturing (KIRAN)’ Scheme to provide various career opportunities to women scientists and technologists.
- Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar is given as recognition to children residing in India, above the age of 5 years and not exceeding 18 years.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a Small Savings Scheme of the Government of India meant exclusively for a girl child. The scheme is meant to meet the education and marriage expenses of a girl child.
- Balika Samriddhi Yojana is another central government scheme to support girls in financially vulnerable sections of society that ensures the enrolment and retention of girl child in primary and secondary schools.
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme celebrates girl children, literally translating to “Save the Girl Child, Educate the Girl child”. It believes in women empowerment and creating an inclusive ecosystem for the same.
- This scheme is to promote girls’ children’s safety before and after they are born.